Friday, November 27, 2009

I can't believe Callan's dead


We used to watch him religiously every week when we first lived here in Albany 35 years ago. This is what his death made me remember:
Changing into long, wrap-around Indian skirts and tight little tops after work (trackies hadn't been invented).
Thinking prawn cocktails were sophisticated.
Learning how to cook spaghetti bolognese and veal cordon bleu (very flash) from the Women's Weekly Cookbok.
Being given a waterbed by a friend. It was awful - always damp.
Building bookcases out of bricks and planks.
Being terrified of the bats in the garage under the house.
Smoking a joint while we were waiting for Monty Python, Callan and New Scotland Yard to come on the telly (yes, all on the same night).
Ditto, but listening to Poco's Crazy Eyes.
Being persona non grata with the old couple next door because we were living in sin.
My now husband buying a wedding ring with my first (and only) dole cheque. You could buy a band of 9 carat gold for $22 in 1974.
Becoming friendly with the couple next door after the nuptials. She showed me her doll collection and he told me he was so short because a tree fell on his head.
Taping council meetings (which were broadcast on the radio) for my husband, who was a reporter on the local paper. The only councillor I remember is Herb Wanke, for obvious reasons.
Watching The Winners on the ABC on Sunday nights and deciding I'd follow Carlton because they had the best uniforms.
Having a cat called Snooks whose tail later fell off due to an abscess.
Eating a liver and bacon counter lunch at the Premier hotel once a week (it was THE best).
Going to the Sunday session at the London Hotel and listening to Dot (I think that was her name) play the piano.
Above all, I remember feeling very happy and carefree.
We can only hope Callan's feeling the same way now he's shuffled off this mortal coil and is equipped with a halo as well as a gun.

8 comments:

Davinia said...

Great to see you back in blog land. Wasn't a big fan of Callan I have to say and trying to remember what happened 35 years ago is a bit of stretch for me. But I do remember the wrap around skirts, oh to have the same figure I had back then.

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

Oh how wonderful it would be if things like wedding rings only cost $22... *sigh*

....you smoked joints? :O

Michele said...

Not very often and not for long. Much preferred alcohol :)
We're going to be without broadband for the next 4-5 days so if your comments don't appear for a few days, that's the reason.

Suzanne said...

Welcome back, Michele. I've been suffering withdrawal symptoms! Everytime I tried your blog, all I saw was "Bugger"! Rather apt, I thought.

I figured you must be busy with your reno.

I was in Denmark last weekend. Missed our "coffee date" again. Will try again next time I'm down there.

Suzanne

Unknown said...

don't blame you for not smoking joints for long, the one and only time i smoked a joint it made me so sick i slept 18 hours (it was along weekend thank goodness) went to work on the tuesday and my boss sent me home because, in his own words "i looked a bit green in the gills". I switched to alcohol then much better.

Unknown said...

Just want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year. Must look up the 'recipe' for the christmas cake. Have fun and enjoy.

Boothy said...

Hi Michele
Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and manage to dodge any relly crap (ours has started).
All the best for 2010.
cheers
Boothy

Michele said...

Thanks B and B. Hope yours is fab too xx